29 February 2008

Visit to Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Art


Had a nice visit to Ueno Park the other day with my friend, Chie. Ueno Park is famous for housing most of the big museums in the city, such as National Museum, Modern Art Museum, and many others. My friend's friend had some pieces on display so we went to take a look. I sometimes forget how relaxing it is to just walk around a gallery and look at art and I'm glad to do it more these days (also went to see a Toulouse-Lautrec exhibit recently). I thought it was a nice show and also important to support fellow artists, I think. On the way out, we noticed there was also a shodou (japanese calligraphy) exhibit on the lower level so we went to check that out as well. So cool! It's amazing to me this combination of writing and art, where the two become blended and the way the character is written actually expresses the feeling of its meaning. It takes many years of training and its very difficult I am told. It would be great to have a lesson sometime. Hopefully I can try it...