20 July 2008

Bonodori


A Bonodori is a summer festival where a tradtional dance is performed by all those who wish to strut their stuff, most wearing yukata (light summer kimono). There are many during the summer so I went to go check out one near my place in Yotsuya Sanchome . All japanese summer festivals kind of have similar elements: yakisoba, yakitori, kakigoori, and lots of beer! I saw a few familiar faces from the festival in which I helped carry the omikoshi a few posts back. That was kinda cool and one of the guys that recognized me hooked me up with some yakitori and a beer, on the house which I thought was really nice of him.



Below is a some video of what the dance is like. Basically people do the dance while moving in a circle around a stage. Check out the Taiko drummer on the stage's top platform...pretty cool : )