03 July 2009

I'll be back ...


Today is a warm, rainy, breezy day in Tokyo and I'm at one of my favorite lunch spots, Hibiki. Being on the 49th floor, there is a great view of the city to gaze at while enjoying my Chirashizushi. It's rather sudden, but after over 2.5 years here, I'm leaving tomorrow to move back to the US for the time being. Freelancing isn't working out the way I'd like and I think to shake things up a bit, make some kind of change. I will be living in Los Angeles, CA and taking some advanced 3d training at a facility in Hollywood for about 9 weeks.

I really wish I wasn't leaving, honestly. Most of you know how much I enjoy living here. Of course I miss my friends and family at home terribly - that goes without saying. Just in terms of a place to live that I feel comfortable in, constantly stimulated, and suits me in various ways, Tokyo is it. I love living in a city where the public transportation is clean, on-time, and a car is not even remotely needed, which removes the whole parking/traffic hassle. I can't imagine there being another city in the world the density of Tokyo that is so clean and safe. Apparently that stuff is important to me. I think a lot of cities can learn a thing or two from Tokyo.

But, another important value is to be working in an environment that suits me and where i feel I can express myself and feel good about while making a decent living. That too is so important and thus, it's been a hard decision.

I know I will be back, if not as a resident, then at least as a frequent visitor. I guess for some this place can get in their blood after a while. I guess its better to leave while feeling so lucky and positive about the experience rather than jaded and negative as I have heard many do. I owe so much to so many people who made my stay here easy and fun. I can't even begin to say how much i appreciate all I have received from everyone. I hope I can repay some of what I have received someday.

Although I know I will talk with my girlfriend frequently, that is going to be very rough. Skype will be getting a lot of use I think...

Looking forward, the school I will be attending is called the Gnomon School of Visual Effects in Hollywood. All of the instructors work in the industry at major studios, so not only will it be great instruction, but a networking opportunity as well. I hope to get something going after it ends, but will keep options open and just focus on working my arse off for the next few months and hope something good comes from it.

So I guess we'll see. If I can get my name in some movie credits somewhere, that would be cool too. Maybe I will start an LA blog too. I'll keep this one open cause Japan is not over for me, not by a longshot. As the infamous gov of California once said, "I'll be back".