21 September 2006

Please go and come back ...


At first I was surprised at how small my new workplace is, but then again, most spaces are much smaller here I am learning. It's very clean and the computer equipment is blazingly fast. Dual plasma monitors and tons of RAM and processors, this computer smokes the ones I used at home. Other thing I noticed is when these guys are at work, THEY ARE AT WORK. That means little chit-chat, surfing the net for hours, or doodling. I like a quiet workspace so is fine with me. I can see why Japanese companies are so productive. The other nice thing I like are the daily office aisatsu. These are greetings and saying that you make to coworkers (or at home to family) that are said upon leaving and returning. It's not even a conscious thing, its just done throughout the day. Like, "I am going out and will be back" meets with roughly "please go and come back" and "welcome back" upon return. At the end of the day if you leave before others you say, "I am sorry to be leaving before you" and the reply is "you worked hard today, good job". I don't know why but it's just kind of a nice thing I like...